House Pit Seven
Our multimedia presentation on the evolution of fairness continues with a look at the archeological findings that helped explain the culture of Keatley Creek’s residents.
Previous: The Pit House
People began using the Keatley Creek site during the Middle Prehistoric, from about 5000 to 2800 B.C.E. They probably built shelters throughout that period, but the first clear evidence of pit houses is found after 2800 B.C.E. The height of the village’s development took place between 400 B.C.E and 1000 C.E. After that, the population dwindled. There is evidence of a major landslide on the river below Lillooet that may have blocked salmon migration around that time, possibly for decades.
Keatley Creek proved to be an ideal location for Brian Hayden to pursue his interests. The dry climate provided excellent preservation of material, even organic remains such as fish bones.
The location he chose for the first major excavation was designated as House Pit Seven, and in this video, he explains to Gordon Orians what he found, and where he found it.